Crystal Palace vs Arsenal Match Report
Crystal Palace and Arsenal got the new Premier League season underway on Friday night with the Gunners coming out on top 2-0. It was a disappointing result for the Eagles, especially as they looked in control of the game in the second half. That said, Palace didn’t have many goal-threatening chances and Arsenal deserved to win.
- A great run from the new Arsenal signing Gabriel Jesus led to Martinelli getting a shot away that went wide.
- The away side were the hungrier of the two in the opening 10 minutes with Zinchenko having a shot on goal.
- Arsenal got the opening goal in the 20th minute through a Martinelli header from a corner. Zinchenko was left unmarked and got the ball back across the box for the Brazilian to head home. Goals from set pieces was a weakness of Palace’s last season too.
- Ramsdale was lucky after a poor clearance hit Edouard and could’ve gone anywhere.
- The Arsenal keeper then made a great save from a header from Edouard. Palace’s best chance of the first half.
- The Frenchman had another two efforts on goal but the Arsenal defence threw themselves in front of them both.
- Early in the second half, Zaha played a lovely ball to Eze who hit it straight at Ramsdale. He really should’ve scored.
- Mateta came on for Edouard in the 58th minute after the Frenchman couldn’t convert.
- Guehi got in a muddle under pressure from Jesus who had only Andersen to beat, but the Dane stood his ground and blocked the shot.
- Milivojevic on for new signing Doucoure in the 75th minute.
- Saka got the ball down the right flank and looked to cross it into the box, but it hit Guehi on the head and into the back of the net. Not his best performance in a Palace shirt.
- Two final substitutes for Palace were Ebiowei for Eze and Hughes for Schlupp in the 86th minute.
Palace were miles better in the second half of the match and if they’d created more and taken their chances then the score could’ve been different. Even though it was a defeat, there are still positives to take from the game.
I was unable to embed the highlights from Crystal Palace’s YouTube channel so here they are on Arsenal’s.
Crystal Palace vs Southampton Match Report & Highlights
Crystal Palace hosted Southampton for the Saturday afternoon match and came away with their third consecutive home win. In-form striker Odsonne Edouard scored the only goal of the match in the first half and then Palace defended well in the second half.
It was The Eagles’ final home match before the league stops for the World Cup so it was a vital win going into the final two Premier League matches.
Keep reading to see the match summary and the highlights at the end.
- Palace got an early free-kick after Zaha was brought down just outside the area. Milivojevic took it, but it was too close to the goal for the ball to get enough dip and be on target.
- A dangerous corner from James Ward-Prowse left the Palace defence scrambling to get the ball clear.
- Olise was brought down cynically and then delivered the ball into the area, but the keeper comfortably punched it out for a corner.
- Another foul for Palace when Joel Ward was barged off the ball down the right-hand side. Olise’s delivery was well-defended though.
- Schlupp managed to turn the defender and sprint into Southampton’s penalty area before cutting it back for Milivojevic who had his shot deflected out.
- A beautiful touch from Eze allowed him to play Zaha in on the left, who squared it for Edouard, but the Frenchman couldn’t get a touch on it to slot it home. He may well have been offside anyway had it gone in.
- Palace had a penalty shout as Olise appeared to be brought down in the area. On second look, there wasn’t enough in it for it to be a foul.
- Che Adams was through on goal with Andersen tracking back. The Southampton striker managed to get a shot off and hit the post, but the linesman finally put up his flag for offside.
- Palace played it around nicely, with Milivojevic finding Eze who had a long-distance effort saved and out for a corner.
- Moments later Eze had another effort on goal, although Edouard and Zaha were both screaming for the ball.
- Palace managed to score, but Olise was offside in the build-up to the goal so Edouard’s nutmeg through the keeper’s legs was chalked off.
- Palace should’ve been in front with all these chances and another fell to Andersen from a corner, but the header was comfortable for Buzunu.
- Finally, Palace took the lead through a well-worked goal. Zaha won the ball back and played in Mitchell down the left before cutting it back for Edouard to poke it home. 1-0 to The Eagles.
- Elyounoussi had an early effort on goal in the second half and the Southampton players were shouting for handball. VAR decided no penalty as the ball hit Guehi’s foot before touching his hand.
- Down the other end, Olise was running at The Saints’ defence and ended up unleashing an effort with his weaker right foot. The shot was blocked and Edouard was offside when picking up the rebound.
- Palace were under pressure in the second half. Adams won a header against Andersen to find Ward-Prowse who then played a great through ball back to him only for Guaita to make a crucial to keep Palace in the lead.
- Another chance for The Saints as Armstrong travelled down the left flank and unleashed an effort on goal only for Guaita to make another top save.
- Moments later Armstrong had another effort on goal, this time hitting the outside of the post and then coming back and hitting Ward for a corner.
- Zaha had a lot of time running at the Southampton left-back that he took too long and saw his poor left-footed effort easily blocked.
- Mitchell gave the ball away in a dangerous area and Southampton were able to get an effort on goal, but Guaita made another vital save.
- Jordan Ayew attacked down the right wing and managed to find a cross into Schlupp, but a Southampton defender blocked it.
- Olise broke away from his man in the Palace half and made ground before finding Ayew. The Ghana international had so much time, but couldn’t pick out Zaha in the middle! Really should’ve been 2-0 with the match over.
Crystal Palace vs Southampton Highlights
Crystal Palace vs Wolves Match Report & Highlights
Crystal Palace managed to get their second win in three matches on Tuesday night when they faced Wolves at home. The Eagles went behind in the first half but returned in the second half with Eze and Zaha getting on the scoresheet.
Keep reading to see the key match points and the highlights at the end.
- Early on Doucoure almost got his first goal for the Eagles when he smacked the post from a long-range effort.
- Diego Costa should have scored for Wolves, but Ward stuck with him and Guaita made a vital save.
- Wolves had another effort on goal, but it was deflected wide for a corner.
- Olise and Eze stood over the ball for a free kick and Eye took it and fired it wide.
- Andersen had an effort on goal after Eze’s second delivery in from a corner.
- A quick cross-in from Wolves led to the first goal of the game, Traore headed home from close range.
- On the edge of halftime, Schlupp found Zaha but he couldn’t keep his shot down blazing it over with his left foot.
- Doucoure was the first Palace player in the book after bringing down Traore on a run on goal.
- Palace got lucky when Ruben Neves smacked the post from the free kick of this foul. That was half-time.
- Within two minutes of the restart, Palace equalised through a great team goal that started with Eze in the middle of the pitch and ended with Olise crossing it to him to head home. Clearly, Vieira’s half-time team talk pushed the players to fight back fast.
- Edouard couldn’t get enough on his shot to work the keeper and the ball didn’t fall right for Olise. Ward followed it up but was penalised for a foul on the Wolves keeper.
- Zaha showed great strength and resilience when he battled three Wolves players in his own half and came away with the ball. This led to some great build-up play and finally an acrobatic bicycle-kick effort from Edouard who wasn’t far off the goal. It would’ve been one of the goals of the season had it gone in.
- Andersen played a great ball to Mitchell to attack the Wolves’ penalty area. The ball fell to Eze who set up Zaha, but Jose Sa made a comfortable save.
- Moments later, Eze played a great through ball to Edouard who then found Zaha in the middle. He had another time to take a touch and then smash it past the keeper, 2-1 Palace.
- Late on down the other end though, Wolves still posed a threat when Collins missed a sitter. The referee did blow for offside though so it wouldn’t have counted if he did score.
Crystal Palace vs Wolves Highlights
Leicester vs Crystal Palace Match Report & Highlights
The match between Crystal Palace and Leicester was one that we didn’t want to rewatch on Match of the Day. It ended in a 0-0 draw with the match being very scrappy and Palace only having one shot on target in the match.
If Leicester had more confidence on the day they would’ve won easily so Palace were lucky to come away with a point. As Milivojevic said after the game, the positive to take away from the game is that it’s a clean sheet away from home.
Palace now host Wolves at home on Tuesday night and Vieira will hope his team can get into better-attacking positions then.
Keep reading for the brief match summary points as well as the highlights.
- The ball came to Doucoure on the edge of the area who then found Zaha but he got too much under the ball and it went much too high.
- Down the other end, Daka, tested Guaita with a powerful shot but the Spaniard easily parried it away for a corner.
- Guehi had a chance to put Palace ahead but he headed it over the bar when he really should’ve found the target. He looked frustrated with himself.
- Zaha found Eze in the middle of the pitch with enough time and space to line up a shot and forced Danny Ward to make a save.
- Milivojevic and Riedewald on for Mitchell and Doucoure
- Castagne had an effort from long range but it was a comfortable catch for Guaita.
- Maddison then watched a scuffed effort dribble past the post.
- Patient build-up from Palace led to Edouard having a good effort on goal, but Leicester’s keeper saved it easily.
- Zaha came off for Mateta, the Ivory Coast international wasn’t happy about being taken off, but he never got into the match.
- Maddison’s corner into Castagne caused a scare for palace fans but Guaita handled it well.
- Iheahanacho’s effort on goal from a short corner
- A minute later the Nigerian international caused more trouble with Dewsbury-Hall going close and claiming handball.
- Maddison went down in the area in stoppage time from a challenge from Milivojevic but the referee saw it clearly and immediately booked Maddison for simulation.
Leicester vs Crystal Palace Highlights
Brentford vs Crystal Palace Match Preview & Prediction
Crystal Palace vs Brighton Match Preview & Prediction
Manchester United vs Crystal Palace Match Preview & Prediction
Crystal Palace vs Newcastle Match Preview & Prediction
Crystal Palace vs Manchester United Match Preview & Prediction
Chelsea vs Crystal Palace Match Preview & Prediction
Blog1 year ago
Who Owns Crystal Palace?
Blog1 year ago
Crystal Palace New Academy Training Ground
Blog1 year ago
Do Crystal Palace Still Have Cheerleaders?
Match Reports1 year ago
Brentford vs Crystal Palace Match Report & Player Ratings
Blog1 year ago
M23 Derby – Why are Brighton and Crystal Palace Rivals?
Transfer News1 year ago
Palace Sign Mateta on a Permanent Deal
Transfer News1 year ago
Burnley interest in Benteke for Wood replacement
Match Reports1 year ago
Watford vs Crystal Palace Match Report & Player Ratings